Monday, February 25, 2008

Addison Joy Weitzel - born February 25, 2008

Addison Joy Weitzel was born in Kelowna, BC at 11:58 am on February 25th, 2008 weighing 5 lbs 2 oz. We were flown to Kelowna after my water broke at 2am on the 25th, and we went to Langley Hospital only to learn that there was nowhere any closer that could take us because of a shortage of beds and/or incubators. We landed in Kelowna airport around 9:30 am, had a 45 minute ride in the ambulance to the hospital, and Addison was born 1 1/2 hours after arriving at the hospital. Unfortunately I didn't even get to see her right away, since they had to quickly get her up to the NICU to do everything they could to make sure she would be okay, since she was born at 32 weeks gestation (2 months early). Initially, she was put under an oxygen mask and a feeding tube, and hooked up to heart and oxygen monitors.


After getting up and showering (easier said than done!), I was finally able to see Addison about 2 hours after she was born. As Greg wheeled me in to the nursery, I didn't even know where to look. Finally I saw her and she was so tiny! I couldn't believe she was ours, and what a beautiful little person we had created. It was so hard because we couldn't touch her, since it felt like sandpaper on her very sensitive premature skin, and she would get upset when she was touched. I was able to touch her hand though, which I was quite thankful for. What a strong little baby she was though! She stayed in Kelowna hospital for 10 days, then we were flown to Langley, where she stayed for 10 more days.

No comments:

Post a Comment